Waterdown Commonly Used Locks
Waterdown Locksmith 647-866-0956
Waterdown Commonly Used Locks
A locksmith is a tradesman whose profession concerns the manufacture and defeating of locks. A lock could either be an electronic or a mechanical fastening device applied and used on doors, vehicles or containers to restrict its access. These locks are commonly released through the use of keys, keycards, RFID signals or keycodes.
Commonly used locks are:
- Bicycle locks are a devices commonly utilized on a bicycle in order to prevent robbery. It fastens the bike to a stand or any other fixed object.
- A combination lock uses a sequence or series of numbers or symbols in order to be opened and accessed. The series of numbers and/or symbols may be inputted using one rotating dial, an electric or mechanical keypad. If a rotating dial is used, the dial interrelate with a number of discs or cams.
- A deadbolt or dead-lock can only be moved to the open position by rotating the lock’s cylinders with the correct key. It is usually used together with a spring-bolt lock.
- Electronic locks or electric lock utilizes an electric current in its operation. A stand-alone electric locking device has an electronically-controlled assembly that is directly mounted on it. In most instances, these electric locks are in connection to the access control system as it provides the advantages of: key control (keys may be added and removed even if the key cylinder is not re-keyed); fine access control (affected by time and place): and transaction logging (for recording activities).
- A keycard lock could either be operated mechanically or by using magnetic strips. A keycard has the same dimensions with that of a credit card or driver’s license. A mechanically based system is operated by moving detainers in the locking device via the inserted card, while if the system is magnetic strip-based the system only reads the digital data encoded on the card.
- The locks utilized in securing luggages is called luggage lock. This type of lock may either be built in into the case or it can be external such as using padlocks or lockable straps.
- The pin tumbler lock employs a mechanism using a set of pins with varying lengths in preventing the lock to be opened without the correct key. Cylinder locks generally employ this type of lock mechanism but it could also be present in tubular pin tumbler locks or radial locks.
- The rim lock is supposed to be attached to the surface of the door. This is the original type of lock utilized mostly in England and Ireland with a basic design that includes a stiff lever and a bolt, wards are used as the block. Such type of lock, although already outdated is still manufactured these days but are only used for internal doors and for minimum security only.
- The locking mechanism of a time lock is mostly implemented and found among bank vaults and high security containers. A ward lock or warded lock uses a set of wards or obstructions that avoids the lock to be opened without inserting the proper key. The correct key possesses notches or slots that corresponds to the obstructions in the lock. This allows for free rotation in the lock.
Call Waterdown Commonly Used Locks Anytime! We Work 24 Hours And Here For You For Any Locksmith Service You Might Need! 647-866-0956